Photography Marketing with WordPress – How to Do It
If you’re setting up your first photography website or a new one, WordPress may be one of your best options for building and maintaining a site. (For example, you’re currently reading a WordPress site – and this one looks pretty good, right?)
WordPress will walk you through the process of building a site and gives you many tools to help you optimize that site to appear on search engine results pages. Also, there are many SEO specific plugins available for WordPress that will increase your photography SEO capabilities even further. And if you choose to go with a professional photography marketer to get your site better rankings, most reputable SEO marketers will be very familiar with WordPress – for example, it is one of the minimum requirements for a marketer or staff writer on our own team.
If you decide to go with WordPress, here are a few tips to help you succeed.
1. Start by familiarizing yourself with the interface and writing blog posts.
Blog posts are one of the best ways to attract potential customers to your site. To market them with WordPress’ basic interface, try a few of these tips:
- Use tags. You should include a few relevant search terms in the “tags” section of every blog post.
- Use images to make your site more attractive and professional-looking, and to provide yourself with more SEO opportunities.
- Use social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to share your WordPress posts – once you’ve linked your WordPress sites to your social media accounts, you can do this with great ease.
- Write professionally and use search keywords regularly throughout your posts. If you don’t know how to do this, consider hiring a professional SEO writer to help, or practice and do research to improve your own skills.
Once you’ve locked down these basic techniques for using blogs to attract people to your site, move on to #2…
2. Install an SEO plugin for WordPress, such as Yoast.
Yes, we’ve mentioned this one already – but we’re not the only ones excited by Yoast and other plugins like it. The SEO professional bloggers over at the site Kinsta recommended Yoast in their article on keeping your site relevant in 2017.
SEO plugins for WordPress greatly expand your SEO capabilities, and can allow you to tweak the finer details of your site with ease in order to bring more potential customers to you.
3. Keep fresh content coming. Don’t stop for ANYTHING.
Eventually, you’ll want to attract repeat visitors to your site. You’ll also want to be sure that new visitors look at your WordPress site as professional, relevant, and timely.
How do you accomplish all these things at once? By keeping fresh content coming as often as possible, of course.
This means you should be updating your blog regularly. Also be sure to update your photography portfolio as often as you can – because your images are what is going to sell you and your photography services to customers most of all.
Also be sure to update the main pages of your site (Home, About, Contact, etc.) as frequently as you need to. Your customers need to know everything about you that’s relevant to your job as a photographer, and also how to contact and hire you.